Breakfast Tofu Scramble
Extra-firm tofu, when crumbled, has a scrambled egg texture and, when paired with turmeric, a bit of an egg-like flavor, without any added cholesterol.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
14-16 ounces tofu, extra firm (light or low-fat when possible)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add 1/4 cup water to a large sauté pan. Once heated, add the onion.
- When the aroma releases from the onion and it starts to become translucent, add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, add peppers and mushrooms and add 1/4 cup water if vegetables are sticking to the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Crumble tofu with hands and add to pan along with turmeric, mixing well. Add cumin powder, pepper, and salt, and cook for another 4-6 minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve with whole-grain toast or on a warm corn tortilla.